Submit your Contemporary African Photography to the 5th edition of POPCAP, the piclet.org Prize Africa.
The piclet.org prize for contemporary African Photography is directed at photographers whose work engages with the African continent and/or its diaspora. The prize consists of global exposure at major International photography exhibitions.
POPCAP aims to raise the profile of African photography within the arts. Each year five winners are selected by an internationally-sourced panel of judges, enabling the promotion of African photography worldwide and helping to avoid geographically and culturally one-sided views of the portfolios. Due to its extensive application in a day-to-day context, we consider photography to be the ideal medium through which to foster an unhindered exchange of ideas about the image of Africa.
POPCAP was initiated by Benjamin Füglister in 2012. In its first edition five winners were chosen from 140 submissions by a panel of nine internationally-sourced judges. In 2013 POPCAP received 360 submissions from 57 countries, which were judged by a 14 person panel. The POPCAP ‘14 edition received 720 applications from 88 countries, which were reviewed by a panel of 23 international judges. The roughly 800 submissions to POPCAP ’15 were judged by 19 international experts and the five winning portfolios were presented at 7 international art exhibitions.
Further information on our previous editions of POPCAP can be found HERE
- Photographs must have been taken in an African country or deal with a diaspora of an African country.
- The emphasis of the competition is on image sequences. Images must work together as a whole. We are NOT looking for single images or fashion/advertising/studio work.
- Eligible are submissions comprising between 10 and 25 images.
- Submitted images should be a minimum of 2500 pixels in width/height at 72 dpi and be no more than 5 megabytes in size.
- Should your work be chosen for exhibition, we will ask you to supply high-resolution files that are suitable for print.
- Collaborative projects are permitted. Entrants must be sure to note this in the description accompanying their submission.
- NOTE ON COPYRIGHT: The images remain the property of the author and POPCAP requires a license to use the images in relation to the competition and promotion of the competition only. Photographers will be consulted, should we wish to use their work in any other context.
- POPCAP is open to photographers of any age and descent.
- THERE IS NO ENTRY FEE!!!
For more details go to – POPCAP ’16
- Win global exposure at a number of major international photography festivals.
- Fully paid 3 Month Artists residency. .